Friday, February 21, 2014

Day 4 - Half Day Fridays!!

So apparently a new policy at the embassy is that we work 7:30-5:00 Monday through Thursday and then on Friday it is a half day, only working 7:30-12:30. This I am happy with. I, unfortunately, still worked until about 2:00 before I hooked up with the driver to take me home. Someone else also needed picked up and driven home as well so by the time I got back to my hotel it was almost 3:00. I got an invite from some coworkers to head over to an art gallery tonight and I took them up on it as I would rather check the place out rather than sit in my room every waking hour I am away from work. It was a decent show, but I was entirely uninformed that this would be a highly attended event with people like, oh, the Ambassador as well as the Ivoirian Ambassador to the United Nations...I would have dressed more appropriately otherwise!

Here are some pics from the event:





Afterwards we went to a little American restaurant that is ran by a couple who apparently lived in Atlanta for a little while. The food was decent, though I didn't take any pictures because there was a huge group of us at the table and I didn't want to appear weird. Oh, and lo and behold, the US Ambassador was there with his wife eating dinner with the Ivoirian Ambassador to the UN. We could tell before we even walked in because his giant black Cadillac with American flags was sitting right outside the restaurant. There was no parking in the "parking lot" so we did what everyone else does and parked on the sidewalk (apparently that is legal). Apparently drinking and driving is also legal, but you aren't supposed to drink and drive fast. This is the actual law and it is plastered on billboards around the city. Makes me feel so much more comfortable being on the roads with these already crazy drivers!

Well, I am going for a run tomorrow morning with a group that call themselves the "Runners Club" and then I may have to work tomorrow so I am off to sleep! Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment